Sunday, October 24, 2010

Reflective Post 9

THIS WEEK in World Politics, after much deliberation, cooperation, and treason the hegemonic blue team ended the game of Risk after deliberately tricking the red team into thinking that their possession of China was important to accomplish its goal and diluting their attention away from Ukraine. With a striking move, the blue team called win after the world sanction phase even though the reds used their “special power” to take back their loss territory.

As I have mentioned in my post two weeks ago, the opportunity to play Risk these past few weeks definitely allowed us all to view world politics on a personal level and see how IR theories are actually applied in the real world. Although it is used slightly in the real world, using the knowledge behind the theories, we are able to understand the reasons and purpose behind a nation’s actions and goals. For example, we are able to say that a country is more realist than others if they’re goal is only to gain control of other lands in the game and not build any alliances with others. While others are more constructivist if they are expanding their power through global cooperation. Then there’s also our black team I’m not even sure what IR theory to apply because we sure didn’t do much except built our armies and allies. At the end of the day, I have to say that I enjoy doing an activity like that because, as a visual learner, it helped me understand world politics better. All we need now is to play the game again but in the Star Wars version.

--

Note:

  • Do I sound like Katie when I started my reflective post saying “this week in world politics”? If I didn’t then that’s what I was aiming for in the first paragraph.

1 comment:

  1. Garry,

    Why am I always noted in your reflections?
    But on a more serious note, I agree with you. I really enjoyed played Risk, it helped me also grasp the concepts of the 3 IR theories more. It was the closest we could get to actually applying these theories to the real World.

    Also I think we should play the Star Wars version. I've played it, and it is a party.

    ReplyDelete