Sunday, November 28, 2010

Reflection #14: Giving Thanks


Ok, so having been away from American for a good five days, I realized something. I’m happy that I go to American. I know that this sounds cheesy, and I’ll be the first to admit that it is, but it’s also really true.

As I was flying home, I realized that I was actually pretty sad that I was leaving American. As a small child, I always dreamed of going to a college that was academically challenging and filled with people who I could relate to and have discussions with about my passions. I’m happy to say, that as my plane headed for Minnesota left the ground this Thanksgiving break, it hit me that I had found that exact place at American. I have a large group of people around me who are active citizens in this changing world and who are more than happy to discuss their positions on issues with you. This is a beautiful thing, it allows for learning and exchange of ideas outside of the classroom and sometimes that’s where the most learning actually occurs. However, what American means to me didn’t fully sink in until I talked with a few of my friends over the break.

Upon talking with a few of my friends about their college experiences thus far, I again was struck by how happy I am that I found American. A few of my friends are having a really awful time at their perspective colleges and simply feel that they chose the wrong institution. They don’t feel that they’re leaning as much as they could be, they don’t relate to other students and for some it’s that they simply don’t feel they work well at their school. I sat quietly as those few friends bonded over their misfortune. I had nothing to add to the discussion, I love the place I decided to go to college.

I guess it was fitting that I had this whole epiphany over Thanksgiving break. I realized that I’m thankful for my parents helping to send me to American and, more than anything else, I’m thankful that I found American and all the people that come with it.

2 comments:

  1. I had the exact same experience, Sarah! When I talked to my friends at home, most of them were lukewarm about their college experience. I was so surprised! I actually felt bad for being so enthusiastic about American. Go figure. As you said, it just made me incredibly grateful that I made the right choice for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a bizarre but wonderful experience, right? I was struck by how lucky and sorrow filled it left me for my friends. From the individuals that I've talked to about this phenomenon here, we're not the only ones who've felt this way.

    ReplyDelete