Sunday, November 21, 2010

Reflective Post 13

This week for our lab we went to the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian. This was my first time going to the museum, so it was a new experience for me. Upon arriving at the museum, the first thing that struck me was the architecture of the building. It was the most unique exterior of a Smithsonian I have seen yet, and I was impressed. I could tell that Katzen was based off of the design because they resembled each other a little. The limestone exterior made the museum look one with nature, in addition the plentiful plant life and wetlands outside, gave the museum a serene feel. When we entered we went straight up to the fourth floor, to the Our Universes exhibit, which presented upon Native American beliefs. One question that Professor Jackson had asked us beforehand was whether we thought the 4th floor exhibit resembled more of a history or an art museum. I personally, believe it to be more of a history museum, although that is arguable. Art is in the eye of the beholder. I do believe some of the pieces featured in this exhibit could be considered art. But art is a part of culture, which encompasses beliefs, so overall the entire exhibit does make sense as a history museum type exhibit.

Speaking of art exhibits, my favorite part of the museum (other than the gift store) was definitely the W. Richard West, Jr. Contemporary Arts Gallery. This eclectic mix of paintings and sculpture done by Native American artists was very intriguing and well-done. I have always been an art museum fanatic, so I am biased by saying this was my favorite. My second favorite exhibit was the Window on Collections exhibitions on the 3rd and 4th floors which featured various beadwork, Native made dolls and other artifacts that are affiliated with Native Americans. This exhibit also featured cool touch screens that taught you new facts and fun stories about Native American culture. My favorite sculpture was definitely the Always Becoming sculpture located outside the Independence Ave. entrance. It was the five hand-built clay sculptures by the artist Nora Naranjo-Morse. The sculptures looked very natural and I could tell they were made out of all natural materials.

Overall, I rather enjoyed the museum. It taught me new facts and stories about the Native American culture I had not previously known. I bought a clay pig from the gift store that was supposed to bring me luck, and as I was walking to the metro stop I found a dream catcher on the ground (I was previously ranting about how I had wanted one). It the pig was indeed lucky. Seeing as that was our last lab (off-campus), it was a good time. I will miss our weekly field trips, they were always a good time.

Source used: General Information Pamphlet received inside the museum

No comments:

Post a Comment